HGV Driver Training

Whatever the reason is that you need an LGV licence, we are here to help make the process as smooth and as easy as possible. Whether you are planning to drive a horsebox for your own use or whether you are looking to start a new career in haulage, we have all the necessary knowledge and expertise to give you the best possible head start.

Just like any other driving licence categories, there can be some confusion over what licence you actually need. To help you with this we have explained things as clearly as possible at the bottom of this page, and we have created our unique ‘step-by-step’ guide to obtaining your LGV licence. Click here to view the guide to obtaining your LGV licence.

Click to view our LGV courses or book your LGV training online.

Our LGV driving instructors are also experienced horse owners and transporters, so if you are looking to take your LGV test in order to drive a horsebox, whether professionally or for your own use, they can give you the best hints and tips with regards to travelling your horses or any other animals. We also provide specialist horsebox driver training for both lorries and trailers (even if you already have the correct licence) which covers not only driving but the safe maintenance of your lorry or trailer to ensure your horses are kept safe while travelling. For more details please click here.

Whether you are looking to drive a lorry for work or personal purposes you will need to get an LGV licence. At Supreme Driver Training we specialise in providing high quality, up-to-date training to help you pass the test quickly, but more importantly to help you become a safe and confident lorry driver, capable of dealing with everyday situations a professional driver may encounter.

All of our LGV driving instructors have worked in the haulage industry not only as drivers but also in management, they  are DVSA Approved Driving Instructors and use the latest coaching methods to help you the best they can.

What licence do I need?

The licence you need depends on what you intend to drive, and when you passed your car driving test. If you passed your car driving test before 1997 you will probably have automatically received a C1 entitlement (we advise you check the reverse side of your photocard licence for this). If you passed your car driving test on or after 1st January 1997 you will not have received the C1 entitlement or any other LGV entitlement. The C1 entitlement means the driver can legally drive a small LGV of between 3,500kg and 7,500kg MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) or GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight).

Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) are important to understand as they refer to the maximum weight a vehicle can legally weigh when fully loaded, not the actual weight of the vehicle.

A C1 vehicle is commonly referred to as a 7.5 ton but any goods vehicle with a GVW of more than 3.5 ton, up to 7.5 ton, will require a C1 licence. Anything over 7.5 ton (7,500kg) GVW will come under the category C licence entitlement which is normally known as a Class 2. A category C licence will entitle you to drive any rigid goods vehicle of any weight, the only restriction will be that you cannot tow a trailer behind it.

Because of the difference in the category C1 and C vehicles only being the weight they can carry, we normally advise people to take the category C or Class 2 training even if you only plan to drive a 7.5 ton or C1 vehicle. The reason for this is if you take the C1 you will be restricted to 7,500kg GVW, whereas if you pass the category C or Class 2 test you will receive both C and C1 licence entitlements.

The only other LGV licence category is a CE (or C+E) which is otherwise known as a Class 1 or artic licence due to the fact that most CE vehicles are articulated lorries, however a CE is purely a category C vehicle towing a trailer of  more than 750kg MAM. You can therefore drive both an articulated lorry or a ‘wagon and drag’ (drawbar combination) using a category CE or Class 1 licence, but you must pass the category C before you can attempt the category CE test.

Medical and Theory Tests

Before being able to drive a LGV (category C1 or C) you must complete the following:

  • pass a medical examination conducted by a qualified doctor
  • apply for a provisional LGV entitlement to be added to your licence
  • pass a theory and hazard perception test

Our step-by-step guide to obtaining your LGV licence will help you through this process, or you can request a welcome pack from us containing all the necessary DVLA forms by using our online booking system.

Let’s get Social…

Sign up for our Newsletter